Position in the project: Student Bursary – TEAM-TECH project
Scientific discipline: Agriculture, microbiology and horticulture
Job type: Scholarship -determinate period
Number of job offers: 1
Remuneration/scholarship amount/month: 2333 EUR per month
Position starts on: November 15, 2021
Maximum period of contract/scholarship agreement: 6 months (non-renewable)
Institution: Poznan Science and Technology Park, Material Synthesis Group, Poznań
Research activities will be performed at the University of Naples Federico II, Portici (NA), Italy.
Project leader: dr hab. inż. Marcin Śmiglak; Bursary supervisor Prof. Sheridan Woo (UniNa)
Project title: New plant resistance inducers and their application as innovative approach to plant protection against pathogens.
Project is carried out within the Team – Tech Programme of the Foundation for Polish Science.
The research project will investigate application potential of an active compound in inducing the resistance in economically important plant species towards common disease agents under laboratory, growth chamber and greenhouse conditions. Resistance inducers and derivatives will be tested on tomato, singly and in combination with microbial biological control agents (cultivated in controlled conditions and greenhouses) to determine the properties of SAR induction and compatibility with microbial BCA, evaluating particular conditions of treatments such as application period, frequency and optimal dosage. The goals of the project will be realized through four distinct research objectives:
1) Testing the compatibility of selected Trichoderma BCAs with the ISR compounds, in various concentrations and combinations.
2) Determine the biocontrol efficacy of the best formulations in vitro and in vivo against the principal disease agents of tomato, ex. Botrytis, Alternaria or Rhizoctonia.
3) Biological efficacy assessment and application technology of prepared ISR formulations in various plant-pathogen models in controlled growth conditions to determine effects on plant biostimulation, microbial colonization and survival,
4) Analysis of plant response to the best disease control treatments using various biochemical and molecular techniques.
5) Evaluation of substance accumulation in plants and possible environmental footprint that tested substance could have on the ecosystem and other organisms.
Key responsibilities include:
1) Conducting laboratory, growth chamber and greenhouse tests on selected microbial species using a plant stimulators,
2) Determine effect of ISR and microbial treatments on physiological characters of the plants (gas exchange and chlorophyll fluorescence),
3) Analyses of morphological and other biometric parameters of plants, and determine phytotoxicity effects of treatments,
4) Preparation of databases and statistical analysis of the results obtained from performed experiments,
5) Writing of monthly and final reports. Other work related to the research process, commissioned by the project manager and research supervisor.
Profile of candidates/ requirements:
1) 2nd degree student , in the field of agriculture, horticulture, biology or a related field,
2) Very good written and oral communication skills in English, enabling easy reading of specialists in the field,
3) Experience working in laboratory and greenhouse conditions, with microbiological, plant bioassay techniques,
4) Motivation and enthusiasm to work in science,
5) Good knowledge of microbial and plant cultivation method.
1) Curriculum vitae,
2) Cover letter,
3) Confirmation of student status.
1) The possibility of conducting an interesting research project in cooperation with the Poznań Science and Technology Park scientist and the collaborating scientist at the University of Naples Federico II,
2) Possibility to conduct an internship and improve scientific research skills,
3) Estimated working time of the bursary holder is on average 8 hours a day. The detailed work plan will depend on the nature of the tasks carried out at a given time and will be agreed between the bursary holder and the project investigator.
Upon receiving candidates applications, we will be contacting only selected candidates.
Recruitment interview will be held on November 8/9 at 10:00-15:00.
Please send the application by filling in following form.
Application deadline: October 31, 2021.
Information about personal data of candidates applying for employment at the Adam Mickiewicz University Foundation in Poznan.
Please read the following clause and include its content in the application documents.
I agree to the processing of my personal data by the the Adam Mickiewicz University Foundation in Poznan for the needs necessary to implement a current recruitment process/ current and future recruitment processes *.
* delete as appropriate
Please be advised that the administrator of your personal data is the Adam Mickiewicz University Foundation in Poznan with headquarters in Poznan (61-612), at Rubież Street 46. Candidates' personal data will be processed in order to recruit for the position indicated in the announcement until the completion of the recruitment process, and if you have agreed to participate in future recruitment for a period of 24 months from their transfer.
Personal data provided by you will not be shared with other recipients and will not be transferred to a third country. You have the right to access your personal data and the right to rectify, delete, limit processing, the right to transfer the data, the right to object, the right to withdraw consent at any time without affecting the legality of processing, which was made on the basis of consent before its withdrawal, as well as the right to lodge a complaint to the supervisory body when you feel that the processing of personal data concerning you violates the provisions of the general regulation on the protection of personal data of April 27, 2016.
Providing personal data by you is voluntary.
More information about personal data processing: firstname.lastname@example.org